Earlobes, much like the skin on other parts of the body, can become elongated due to age, genetics, and gender, or stretched from wearing heavy or gauged earrings. Regardless of the reason, large earlobes can impact one’s self-confidence. Some attempt to hide their earlobes behind long hair, limiting their options to enjoy fun, flirty hairstyles, or beautiful jewelry.
At Faces PLLC, Dr. J. Randall Jordan performs earlobe reduction surgery to help create a more flattering and balanced ear contour. As a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Jordan makes it a priority to educate each patient thoroughly about the treatment options available to help them achieve their aesthetic goals.
In this blog, the cosmetic surgery team at Faces, PLLC gives a brief overview on earlobe reduction as a way to enhance your self-confidence and inner beauty.
What Is Earlobe Reduction Surgery?
Earlobe reduction surgery, also known as lobuloplasty, is the surgery available to adults whose ears have changed as part of the aging process or for those who are unhappy with the look or shape of their elongated earlobes. To help restore or create a more cohesive ear contour, Dr. Jordan will remove small wedges of skin (and cartilage, if necessary) from each lobe. The remaining tissue will then be fixed into a more flattering shape with sutures. He makes sure that every earlobe reduction is personalized to help ensure that your earlobes are natural-looking and balanced with the rest of your facial features.
What to Expect During Recovery?
Earlobe reduction surgery is an in-office procedure that is accomplished under local anesthesia. The surgery itself will take approximately one hour. Most patients recover from their earlobe repair surgery very quickly without experiencing any noticeable discomfort. Here are some things you can expect during your recovery.
- Immediately after your procedure, you will be able to go home. You can expect to resume work and regular activity 24-48 hours post-op.
- The incisions where excess skin has been cut away will be tapped with brown paper tape to keep the area closed and clean. This will be removed by us at your one week follow-up appointment.
- It is OK to shower with the brown tape in place.
- Slight bruising and swelling may occur after this procedure, but these side effects should resolve themselves quickly and can be easily hidden with your hair until everything heals.
- Rubbing and scratching should be avoided during the healing process to help reduce scarring and keep the area clean. Also, be sure to keep your earlobes protected from the sun for at least an entire month, as sun damage can also cause scars to become thicker and darker.
- Most earrings can be worn after two months, but try to avoid any heavy or dangling earrings for extended periods of time.
Earlobe Reduction Surgery in Jackson, MS
Elongated, drooping earlobes can take away from the natural beauty of the face causing insecurity and making you appear older than you are. If you’re looking to correct aesthetic problems that are causing you concern, the facial cosmetic surgery team at Face PLLC in Ridgeland, MS, is ready to help. Contact our office today to learn more about earlobe reduction.